Monday 21 January 2008

new unit, ideas, gameplay

I'm gonna have to discuss this with Shaun and Dan, but ideally I'd like to try my hand at making a flash game for a flash game competition. It's similar to the recommended idea, but I'm not keen on the recommended one. Firstly, as we aren't given much time and are given another unit (which we haven't been told details about yet), learning to use the tools necessary for the recommended brief seems like an impossible task, as the programs would only be usable in limited college hours. However, if the other unit happens to teach use of these tools, then it is a feasible option.
Speaking personally however, I'm a much bigger fan of2d animation than 3d. I also tend to play more 2d games; plus I'm familiar with flash and can use it outside of college. And most importantly I have a rough idea of what I'd create for the project (judging by the competitions I've found so far) although this idea would require me to learn alot of extra code, which is my weak point. But that's a more feasible option to me than learning code and struggling with an awkward unfamiliar interface at the same time.
Until I know more, I've concentrated on games that would play most similarly to what I'd like to make; I've played super smash bros melee (in class), Viewtiful Joe 2, and Streetfighter alpha anthology, three games that play mainly in 2d, and are focused around combat. I've created 2d fighting animations before but not whole games; this therefore interests me. Of course the competitions have twists that need to be incorporated, but I don't wish to use these as the starting point; rather work out game mechanics first.
Hopefully tomorrow should clarify some things, anyway, before I get too carried away into one idea.

No comments: