Thursday 13 September 2007

Chris Cunningham

Chris Cunningham's work is... shall we say.. unique? Above's a shot from his Aphex Twin video 'Come to Daddy'... perhaps twisted is a more appropriate word for much of his work. Still, it definitely works, that's for sure... take his video for Bjork for example, which won multiple awards and was even nominated for a grammy for Best Short Form Music Video. So, weird and strange is the way forward!
His work on adverts definitely strays away from the conventional.. and whether you think it advertises the product well or not, it certainly gets people talking; which is what the big companies want, it seems. Personally I thought the 'mental wealth' playstation advertisement was more off-putting than anything... then again it beats the 'fun, anyone?' playstation ads I suppose. I thought the Levi's ad was very good and clever though, so I suppose with randomness on ads, it comes down to personal taste much of the time. Oh, on the subject of randomness in ads, I thought the gorilla drumming cadbury's ad was pure genius. Researching weird ads is a possibility I guess.

No comments: