Sunday 28 October 2007

peaceful games!

I don't completely get how a shooter can be peaceful, except that the lead characer's motives are usually peaceful. Assuming I'm supposed to research peaceful games as per se as opposed to specifically peaceful shooters, here are a few examples I found:

1. Jazzy Jones!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/343778
absolutely brilliant game where you guide jazzy jones the cat through levels in an attempt to stop fred the evil. You actually resolve the entire game without directly attacking anything or anyone; you merely avoid obstacles. I've played the entirety of this masterpiece several times.

2. Cherry Cola
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/319527
place tools in certain places to guide a cherry cola to his goal. There was some kind of storyline but, it wasn't important. Anyways challenging, and no violence.. unless accidentally hurling the cherry cola to its death can be counted as violent. And the aim of the game is to avoid that happening, so... I'd count this as a good pacifist effort, you don't attack anything.

3. Fruit fall
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/332159
roatate the stage to line up fruit of the same colour and burst it. I beat two levels and got bored. But it was nicely made, and had no hint of violence, so well, that's that. If I wasn't so easily bored, I would have certainly played it more.

So there we have it. Games don't need to be violent to be fun. Well... they can be kind of fun without violence anyway.

No comments: