Monday 25 February 2008

Benio's cat lamping adventure: update



I've been working on this alot over half term, experimenting with the code in places. I've successfully been capable of adjusting enemy speeds, jump speed, and gravity for falling from jumps. I've also started adding in new enemy types. This is the problem with using online flash tutorials... often they do not explain clearly how to adjust such things. As it was I had great difficulty attempting to make a pick up that sends you to the next scene upon contact, so I ended up adding a couple of buttons into the game that you have to click. The kitten's plea 'don't click on me' hints that is exactly what the player must do.
I've finished the first level; it differs from my initial idea for it. This is due to code limiting what I could do with it; the camera has been a pain in particular... however, I like it better now than what I had planned. Upon reaching the end of the level, you must backtrack to the start after a very brief cut scene showing the kitten boss escaping; the kitten hides at the starting point. Finding it there initiates a joke boss battle; you have control for half a second before Benio pummels the kitten in a cut scene. This clears the level, and you advance to the next level.
The second level is causing problems. One problem is that the score does not seem to carry on between scenes, making collecting the nike hoodies pointless. I could fix this by returning to gameplay on the same scene, but it would become very, very tiresome to have to trudge through the opening level each time I want to look at the second. I'm considering removing the score and collectable hoodies altogether; I think the logical thing would be to save separate FLAs, one with the score and collectables, one without.
Removing the score would also get rid of the glitch that spawns you back at the starting point when you fall off/hit a spike (it does get rid of it, I've tested it). This is beneficial to an extent, but at the moment the chase scene can be cheated by simply falling off the edge. I will get rid of it in a new FLA.
One final problem is one I have had for a long time with flash: lag causing sound to play (in some cases) much earlier than its designated keyframe. So far I have been putting sounds into movie clips to limit this, but this is a problem for synching new music into the second level... when I tested, it played halfway through the boss battle on level 1 instead. Perhaps this won't be as problematic on the college computers?

No comments: